Friday, February 27, 2009

LIFE MEANING...WHAT FOR WE WORK AND ACCUMULATE WEALTH?


MEANING OF OUR LIFE..
AND PURPOSE OF OUR WORK...
ACCUMULATING WEALTH...
WHAT FOR ?
Source- 'Story came in Tamil Magazine Called- The Mangaiyar Malar'

A Bitter Reality
As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in Software Engineering and joined a company based in USA , the land of braves and opportunity. When I arrived in the USA , it was as if a dream had come true.

Here at last I was in the place where I want to be. I decided Iwould be staying in this country for about Five years in which time I would have earned enough money to settle down in India .
My father was a government employee and after his retirement,the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.

I wanted to do something more than him. I started feeling homesick and lonely as the time passed. I used to call home and speak to my parents every week using cheap international phone cards. Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald’s and pizzas and discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange rate getting happy whenever the Rupee value went down.

Finally, I decided to get married. Told my parents that I have only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within these 10 days. I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight.Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for all my friends back home. If I miss anyone then there will be talks. After reaching home I spent home one week going through all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting shorter I was forced to select one candidate.

In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get married in 2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays. After the marriage, it was time to return to USA , after giving some money to my parents and telling the neighbours to look after them, we returned to USA .

My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week. Our savings started diminishing.

After two more years we started to have kids. Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl, were gifted to us by the almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they asked me to come to India so that they can see their grand-children.

Every year I decide to go to India … But part work part monetary conditions prevented it. Years went by and visiting India was a distant dream. Then suddenly one day I got a message that my parents were seriously sick. I tried but I couldn’t get any holidays and thus could not go to India … The next message I got was my parents had passed away and as there was no one to do the last rights the society members had done whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents had passed away without seeing their grand children.

After couple more years passed away, much to my children’s dis-like and my wife’s joy we returned to India to settle down.I started to look for a suitable property, but to my savings were short and the property prices had gone up during all these years. I had to return to the USA …
My wife refused to come back with me and my children refused to stay in India … My two children and I returned to USA after promising my wife I would be back for good after two years.

Time passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an American and my son was happy living in USA … I decided that had enough and wound-up every thing and returned to India … I had just enough money to buy a decent Touble- bedroom flat in a well-developed locality.

Now I am 60 years old and the only time I go out of the flat is for the routine visit to the nearby temple. My faithful wife has also left me and gone to the holy abode.

Sometimes
I wondered was it worth all this?
My father, even after staying in India ,
Had a house to his name and I too have the same nothing more.
I lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM.
Looking out from the window I see a lot of children dancing.
This damned cable TV has spoiled our new generation and these children are losing their values and culture because of it. I get occasional cards from my children asking I am alright. Well at least they remember me.
Now perhaps after I die it will be the neighbors again who will be performing my last rights/rituals, God Bless them.

But the question still remains ‘was all this worth it?’
I am still searching for an answer !!
START THINKING...
IS IT JUST FOR ONE EXTRA BED ROOM??
LIFE IS BEYOND THIS...
DON’T JUST LEAVE YOUR LIFE ...
START LIVING IT …
LIVE IT AS THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE …
"Quality living is essential..
It is only for the People who aware..
They are the Blessed people."

No comments: